1.23.2010

'Illegal Me'


In the wake of 911, after my return home from the Americorps, I met my future husband who was and is an "illegal immigrant". He invited me to go salsa dancing - I declined secretly hoping he would ask me to do something else, less daunting for a near 6’ gal. He was relentless and I finally accepted.

Raul and I got married on a beautiful day in June of 2006. We knew going into our marriage that there would be no way for us to legally stay in the states. I ask myself all the time, especially now with two little innocent baby girls, why I got us into this, knowing the repercussions of Raul’s trek across the Arizona desert. In my better moments I thank God for the wonderful man I share my life with and for the people I have come to know because of him.

Our story burns inside me because I know we are not alone. I hope this blog will create awareness, however small, of undocumented immigrants in the U.S and families just like mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment