6.25.2009

Dear Mr. President




The Honorable Barack Obama
President of the United States
Washington DC

Dear Mr. President,

I am writing in support of passing immigration reform that includes a path to legalization, be it legal residency or citizenship for the millions of ‘illegal immigrants’ in this county.

Nelson Mandela wrote in his congratulatory letter to you “Your victory has demonstrated that no person anywhere in the world should not dare to dream of wanting to change the world for a better place.”

The year I spent in the Americorps I saw how much can be changed with a vision and few willing hands. President Obama, you have given me hope and renewed my belief that anyone can make a difference. You have placed the burden of change in the laps of the American people and asked us to participate. I will start today by sharing my family’s story and the story of the 12 million PLUS that are praying for a way home and a way out of the shadows.

My story is not unique but also not shared enough. In 2002 I met Raul, my future husband, who was and is an unauthorized immigrant. We were married in 2006. Contrary to the belief that marriage to a US citizen means a pathway to citizenship, as you know, there is no way for Raul to right his wrong and become a legal resident. We have been planning our move to Mexico not wanting our daughter, Lucy (now 11 months) to suffer from the decisions we have made.

Raul came here when he was 17. He crossed the dessert with a gallon of water, a few pesos, a rosary his mom gave him for safe passage and the clothes on his back. Several years later he has daily reminders of the timid boy who arrived in the land of opportunity with his dreams on the horizon. He passes the Chinese buffet that he would frequent for his one a day meal and the bus stop where he slept when it wasn’t worth going home for three hours of sleep. My husband is a gentle and loving man and an exemplary father. Is he a threat to the American way of life?

My hope for the American people is that we will learn to treat all people regardless of race and legal status with dignity and stand up against policies that separate families. That we will not fear what is different but celebrate our rich diversity. My hope for your administration is that you will work to pass immigration reform - making it possible for unauthorized immigrants to achieve legal status, be recognized as a positive addition to our communities and most importantly reunite with their families.

I dream of staying in the country that I love. That I will raise my daughter to be proud of her mixed heritage and of the country that stood up for her family.

Thank you,

Lisa Marie Rios

No comments:

Post a Comment